Copyright Doncaster LMC © (Company Reg No 6775496) . All rights reserved.
During the current situation with Covid-
In order to reduce the impact of these stock shortages we would ask both pharmacies and surgeries to work together to bring about a satisfactory solution.
1. Find out how urgently the patient requires the medication. Shortages are often only temporary and if a patient has sufficient stock at home, the product may become available before there is a need
2. Obtain sufficient information from all suppliers. Do alternative suppliers have products in stock? When is the stock likely to be available?
3. Find out if there is an easy solution. Is a brand or alternative brand available? Are different strengths of the product available that can be doubled-
4. Do other pharmacies have stock available? This includes pharmacies from other companies, who may use different wholesalers and can order the product
5. Speak to the prescriber directly. It is not acceptable to send messages with patients who will not have a full understanding of the situation and be unable to answer questions
1. Talk to pharmacy when contacting about stock shortages
2. Alter prescriptions accordingly to enable the legal supply of Prescription Only Medicines
3. Change medicines to suitable alternative brands, formulations, strengths